Search This Blog

Monday, June 26, 2017

Menu Plan Monday June 26-July 2


We had another bad week filled with reactions last week. I learned a lot about salicylate intolerance when my daughter had a reaction to the almond flour cookies I had been baking as an attempt for her to have a gluten-free treat. This seems to be our norm lately as we experiment with new foods to find out what she can and cannot eat. Although she has had extensive food allergy testing, not all allergies and intolerances will show up on tests, so it is a matter of trial and error.

This week I am experimenting with oats and oat flour to try to hit on a muffin recipe that she likes. My girl loves her baked goods. One obstacle here is that many recipes call for cocoa powder which we try to avoid because then my son can't eat them. So if anyone has any great wheat and nut free recipes, please send them my way!

My menu this week focuses on using the seasonal veggies from our garden. My husband has a huge garden on our farm, and we have enjoyed our harvest. Right now we have a lot of zucchini, yellow squash and potatoes with with a few carrots. We also have a lot of green peas that were picked and frozen. Having a garden does save us some money (though not time!), but the greatest benefit is that I know how the food was handled. I don't have to worry about pesticide allergies or cross-contamination. Everything goes from the garden to my sink where I can wash it and prepare it. Peace of mind is worth a lot!

Roasted Squash
Ready for the oven
We have a lot of squash from our garden. While I like it in casseroles, soups, and even zucchini bread, I am super busy this week with taking my kids to dance camp and library camp, so I don't have time to prepare it multiple ways. This week I am roasting it to keep it healthy and simple.

To roast it, I slice it into circles, spread it out evenly on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and then sprinkle with Himalayan salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I roast it at 375 for 30-45 minutes depending on how thick it is sliced and how large the seeds are. Squash with larger seeds need less time.
Ready for the table

The flavor is fantastic! And this method uses a lot less oil than traditional frying without leaving you with slimy, mushy squash.


Meal Plan
For my menu plan, I loosely plan breakfasts, lunches, and snacks, but I get more specific with dinners. I may assign days for specific meals, but that is always subject to change. I can't wait to review my new finds next week!

Breakfasts 
Flourless muffins, granola bars, oatmeal, plain egg omelets, sausage, bacon, fruit 

Lunches
Dinner leftovers, chicken breasts, smoothies, peanut butter,  fresh fruit/vegetables

Dinners 
Monday: Slow cooked pinto beans, chipotle chicken sausage, roasted zucchini/yellow squash
Tuesday: Slow cooked roast, potatoes, carrots
Wednesday: Baked caprese salad - Simplified!
Thursday: Mini Turkey Meatloaf and Green Beans Sheet Pan Dinner
Friday: Grilled steaks and hamburger patties, corn, baked potatoes
Saturday: Quinoa spaghetti with meat sauce, green peas
Sunday:  Leftover buffet

Snacks
Yogurt, smoothies, 

2 comments:

  1. Im sorry to hear about ur daughter. Hope u find what ur looking for in what she can tolerate. Id love to get together w u to share lots of ideas n things like we used to. I cant share much on here. My mom sold tomatoesat farmers market sat. She called it Matthews maters n Carries cherries (for her cherry tomatoes). 60 pounds of tomatoes ha! She gives us squash peppers green onions cucumbers etc too. Mathews play is fri. Sat. N sun. If yall want to come at montgomery. He also went to vbs at northwest (our church) for 3 nights recently n will go to 7th n beech one in aug. Its really good if yall want to come. Its for 4 nights. I think hell need private lessons in july at the city pool. He still cant swim when it was w a small group but needs practice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squash sounds good! N some of ur others. Other squash ideas-my mom used trisha yearwoods recipe for her squash casserole. Brian cuts his thinly, coats it in flour, frys it incanola oil till brown, sauteed is cut thinly, put lots of butter melted cut thin slices of onion n bell pepper w salt n pepper. I love to dip fried squash in ketchup. Also Kim Mauk lets her kids go to pettijohn christian camp in the summer for an idea for u. Im going yo wait until Mathews in middle school or older.I went my sr yr in high school n loved it. Ill send a baked good recipe another time as Im pressed for time. I miss u. Hope u text me soon.

    ReplyDelete