Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Simple Savings - Build-A-Bear

My kids love Build-A-Bear. And I mean LOVE. They play with their BAB "friends" every single day. If they get to pick a place to spend their birthday money, it is always BAB. We go 3 or 4 times a year, and every experience is always a special memory.

Now I know that sounds indulgent. Those stuffed little critters can get expensive really fast, especially when the kids want to add sounds and scents and a wardrobe that is more stylish than my own. But this mama always has some tricks up her sleeve. Our BAB trips are usually half off the normal prices, which means I can get two fully dressed stuffed friends for my kids for the price of one. So what is my secret to these great savings? Planning. With these few tips, you can save a ton.

1) Before you do anything, use your Costco or Sam's Club membership (or find someone who will let you use theirs) and buy discounted gift cards. You can get 4 $25 cards for $79.98. On Black Friday, they are usually $69.98. These cards can be used in-store or online and in conjunction with any sale or reward certificates you have. Occasionally the store will also offer a $10 gift card for $5 depending on the amount of your purchase. This is a great deal too, but since there is a minimum purchase requirement, you can accidentally spend more just to save $5.

2) Sign up for the e-mail list. They send out sales alerts and coupons. Some coupons are $10 off a $30 purchase or for a free outfit or accessory. The important thing is to read the fine print for the expiration date and to see where the coupon can be used.

3) Sign up for Build A Bear Rewards. You earn 1 point for every $1 spent. After 100 points, you get a $10 Reward that can be used on anything. Keep track of your membership number because you will need to input it when you order online. If you make a purchase in the store, you can give the clerk your phone number you used during registration.

4) Watch the sales! While the store does offer some friends for as little as $12 each, the deluxe animals, especially the licensed characters and holiday exclusives, are usually $20-27 each. The store regularly offers 2 for $35, however, this doesn't always include all of the animals, such as the Star Wars characters. So go online to read for exclusions. If you can wait for a sale, all of the animals will eventually go on the 2 for $35. This is usually in July or August when the store isn't receiving any holiday traffic.

5) Shop online. Did you know that you can order the skins (animal bodies) unstuffed? Once you receive them, you can take them to your favorite BAB store and let your child have the whole experience. By shopping online, you can take advantage of sales and stack multiple coupons when it is convenient. I ordered 4 skins on Black Friday so I could save them for birthdays and summer vacation. The website always offer free shipping with a $40 purchase BEFORE coupons and rewards.

6) Check out the clearance sections online and in the store. Outfits and accessories can be discounted 25%-50%.

Thrift BAB Storage - zip-tied file crates
The last time I purchased BAB's, I purchased two My Little Pony characters with their matching outfits. Because I followed my savings rules, I was able to knock down the cost from $81 to $37 (before tax). I ordered online, and Prairie Daughter was still able to visit the store for the full experience.

My final tip is one that is more about personal finance with kids than it is about savings: Let your kids buy the extras. Even though our trips are for special occasions, we have a rule: Mommy will pay for the skins and one outfit, but the kids have to purchase any scents, sounds, or other accessories. They budget out of their allowance how much they can spend. Prairie Daughter is 7, and she is great at planning, so her first question is usually "Do you have any coupons I can have?" Prairie Son is only 3, so I help him plan his visit. By planning, this also helps put some boundaries on the visit so the kids don't get disappointed. They know they can't afford the whole store, and they are contented to find the items on their lists.

I have to admit, I love Build A Bear almost as much as my kids do. Not only is it a fun activity, but the customer service is amazing. If your stuffed friends get a lot of love like ours do, you can take them back anytime to have stuffing added or have stitching repaired free of charge! Have a problem with a soundbox? They will fix that too. Our favorite BAB store at Stonebriar Centre in Frisco, Texas has handled a lot of repairs for us, and they never disappoint.

Have questions? Feel free to comment. I don't consider myself a Build A Bear expert (yet), but we have had a lot of great experiences, and I will help any way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment