Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2017

Simple Tasks - Bathroom Week - Makeup

Have you been keeping up with decluttering your bathroom through our simple tasks? I hope it has made your daily routines simpler! Today we have our last task for bathroom decluttering for this week. Tomorrow I will post an in-depth bathroom decluttering and cleaning checklist for those who want to take the next step. If this isn't for you though, don't worry! As we cycle through the different areas of our homes, we will come back to the bathroom with more tasks.

Makeup is an important category to declutter for the sake of our health. Old makeup can lead to unsightly infections and reactions. I learned the hard way that eye shadow doesn't always stay usable even if you have a half-full palette. I suffered from eye eczema for a month before discovering that my eyeshadow was the cause!

When decluttering your makeup, consult this handy guide from marieclaire.com to determine if your makeup is too old. If you struggle with remembering how old your makeup is, grab a fine point permanent pen and jot down the purchase dates on items as soon as you bring them home. If you are like me and have super-sensitive skin, you may need to toss old makeup even sooner, so consider changing your makeup with the seasons to help simplify keeping up with dates. When the season changes, I toss my mascara and eyeshadow so my products stay fresh and I keep my eyes healthy.

If you find yourself tossing tons of expired makeup, take time to establish how much makeup is essential for your most used looks. Do you really need 20 lipsticks and 10 eyeshadow palettes? Probably not all at once. When you freshen up your makeup collection for the season, that is a great time to try new, seasonal colors, especially for lipstick and nail polish. And even though nail polish may not "expire," it can still get clumpy and messy, so check those bottles.

Don't forget to check your makeup tools! If your brushes are losing hairs or your sponges are ripped, let them go. These items need to be kept clean and fresh so they are good to your skin.

A note to dance moms - My daughter dances, and even at 6, we acquire makeup for recitals and competitions. I know it gets expensive, but don't try to reuse eye products from year to year. It isn't worth a rash or infection, especially when your little one is in the spotlight!

As always, keep it simple, and stay healthy!
This is all of my makeup. When spring rolls around, the eyeshadow palettes, mascara, and lipstick will be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment